Wednesday, 6 September 2017

Reader Review: “Less”

by Lola425 (Ridgewood, NJ): Put this on your must read. I read this on vacation a week after turning fifty so I was ripe for Arthur Less’ experiences, but on every page there is something to love. This is a book about the pull of nostalgia, of looking back, because the thought of moving forward is too painful or scary. This is a book about love and what makes a love affair, a marriage, a friendship a success (longevity? intensity?). It is a book about looking at who you are and deciding if you like who that person is and if you don’t do you have it in you to become your best self? And it’s a book where you make fictional friend and wish desperately for him to figure it out.


I loved Arthur from page one and soaked a sleeve of my sweatshirt with tears of sadness and frustration and joy and beauty. I also laughed. Which is how life goes, both tragedy and comedy, and hopefully we all end up like Arthur, with just enough of both.

No comments:

Post a Comment